Mountain Biking around Triglav National Park
For lovers of fresh alpine air, picturesque scenery and sweeping vistas. This is a mountain bike tour in the sense of landscape rather than cycling terrain. Most roads are asphalt. However, quite a few of the side trips are on unpaved surfaces and forest tracks. Starting and ending at the fairytale setting of Lake Bled, it takes you on a circular route through Slovenia's alpine northwest, packed with views of the soaring peaks, glistening lakes and verdant valleys of Triglav National Park and the Julian Alps. Suitable for MTB bikers with a good level of fitness.
Day 1: ARRIVAL at Lake Bled. 4* hotel
First stop Bled, a world-famous town on the shore of a beautiful glacial lake. With its distinctive island church surrounded by towering alpine mountains and the clifftop castle standing guard over the town, Bled is one of Slovenia’s most popular tourist attractions.
Day 2: BLED – BOHINJSKA BISTRICA
42km, 950m ascent, 4* hotel
From the high plateau at Pokljuka, you can marvel at the alpine views as you glide down into the neighboring Bohinj Valley with the Julian Alps as your backdrop. Upon reaching Lake Bohinj, the largest and deepest in the Triglav National Park, you can spend the rest of the day seeing sights such as Savica Waterfall and the best view of Mount Triglav from Vogel mountain.
Day 3: BOHINJ – TOLMIN
56 km, 1300 m ascent; or 35 km if taking train to Podbrdo, 3* guesthouse
Today you peddle off into the heart of the Julian Alps through a narrow, almost canyon-like, valley and join the beautiful emerald-green Soča River as it rushes out of the mountains and into the western valley. Weather permitting, you can take a swim at the confluence of the Soča and Idrijca Rivers.
Day 4: TOLMIN – BOVEC
46 km, 980 m ascent, 3* hotel
Today you continue along the mighty Soča River as it roars its way down from the Julian Alps. As you cycle along this crystal clear alpine river, you will pass through the area that saw some of the fiercest fighting during WW1, immortalised in Hemmingway's novel: A Farewell to Arms. Visit Boka Waterfall: at 106 m high and 30 m wide, this is a spectacle not to be missed.
Day 5: BOVEC, a rest day, 3* hotel
Enjoy a free day in Bovec – the adrenaline capital of Slovenia. So many opportunities - hard to make a choice! One option is to take a white water rafting trip down the Soča river, or a circular cycling trip to a viewpoint above the river. If you like to fly, try one of the tandem paragliding trips.
Day 6: BOVEC – KRANJSKA GORA
45 km, 1460 m ascent, 3* hotel
As the sun illuminates the eastern sky, you will be heading on the bike towards it into the tranquillity of the Upper Soča Valley of Trenta, and then twisting your way around 50 hairpin bends as you cross over the high mountain pass of Vršic (1611 m above sea level - altitude gain 1100 m / 3600 ft)
Day 7: KRANJSKA GORA – BLED
38 km, 400 m ascent, 4* hotel
After your challenging climb of the mountain pass on day six, day seven takes you across more relaxing terrain along the Radovna River as it meanders its way through a wilderness valley between two plateaus. As you exit the valley and head back to Bled, stop at the 1.6km Vintgar gorge and take a stroll alongside the rapids as they cut their way through the hills.
Day 8: DEPARTURE FROM BLED
Price per person in a double room sharing:
Low season: March 20 to May 8 and September 18 to October 10, 2021: 610 EUR
High season: May 9 to September 17, 2021: 635 EUR
• accommodation in the aforementioned hotels in a two-bed room with WC and shower, on a bed & breakfast basis
• luggage transfer – one piece, max 20 kgs / 45 lb. Every additional item 10 EUR, payable on the spot
• information pack including text road notes (in plain English) and corresponding maps. One per booking, every additional set 20 EUR
• welcome meeting and bike fitting on arrival evening and backup service (hotline) during the trip
• GPS data
• local tourist and other taxes
• single room supplement 120 EUR
• bike rental 130 EUR. Mountain bikes are equipped with 21 gears. One back, side pannier per bike. One cycling odometer, one lock, one spare inner tube, one set of Allen keys and a basic puncture repair kit per couple/pair of bikes. Every additional day: 15 EUR per bike. Additional odometer 20 EUR, payable on the spot. Bike rental period starts at 9:00 on day two of the tour and ends at 18:00 on day seven.
• helmet rental 12 EUR per week
• transfers: Ljubljana Airport to Bled - please ask us for a favorable quote.
• 3* Hotel in Bled 65 EUR per person in standard double room, BB. Single room 120 EUR
• 4* Hotel in Bled 85 EUR per person in standard double room, BB. Single room 140 EUR
• 4* Hotel in Bohinj 65 EUR per person per night, in a standard double room, BB. Single room 80 EUR
• 4* Hotel in Bovec 75 EUR per person per night, in a standard double room, BB. Single room 95 EUR
• children up to 12 years when sharing room with parents 30% discount on basic price
• third adult in the room 10% discount on basic price
Price excludes: train ticket Bohinjska Bistrica – Podbrdo approx. 5 EUR. Entrance fees.
Starting point of this trip is Bled in NW Slovenia.
By plane: closest airport is Ljubljana (LJU). Several airlines serve it. From the airport, you can travel to Bled by bus (change once, takes about 2 hrs) or book our transfer (faster - 20 min): Ljubljana Airport to Bled or vice versa 30 EUR per person; one way, two-person minimum.
By train: Bled has two railway stations: Lesce Bled on the Villach - Ljubljana mainline, 4 km away from town center, you'll need to take a bus to town centre. The other is Bled Jezero on Jesenice - Nova Gorica sideline, only a few trains a day. Two km away from town centre.
By car: take exit Lesce from A1 motorway Ljubljana - Jesenice, Karavanke.
.... and away
Simple, use one of the above options or - cycle away: consider our cycling trip Best Of Slovenia!
Warning: No images in specified directory. Please check the directory!
Debug: specified directory - https://www.julianatrail.net/images/stories/gallery/mtb